November 19th; 6-8pm.
Prenatal Preparing to Breastfeed Workshop is a 2 hours class on everything you need to know to begin your breastfeeding journey. Topics covered will include:
· Why breastmilk is amazing!
· The first latch
· Fit and hold (latch and positioning)
· Milk supply and demand, managing and establishing your supply
· How to recognize feeding cues
· What to expect in the first few days and weeks
· How to know if your baby is eating enough
· Night time feeds and sleep expectations in the first year
· Pumping and ‘back to work’
· Bottle feeding the breast fed baby
· Hand expression
· Common issues and their warning signs
· Supplies and accessories many people find helpful
· What to do if you need more help
I am a Certified Breastfeeding Counselor and a passionate supporter of moms and babies. I was inspired to enter this field by my own mother, Pamela Douglas MD, IBCLC, and the countless nurturing women I have met on my own journey into motherhood. I believe in supporting all families within their own unique situations to meet their breastfeeding goals in a joyful and workable way.
Within my work I incorporate the approach of Gestalt Breastfeeding, as well as a variety of other tools to help you problem solve and negotiate any potential issues. I strive to provide a nurturing environment in which parents feel informed, confident and respected as they begin or continue their breastfeeding journey. Fundamentally, I strongly believe in the incredible ability of mothers and their babies to work together and nourish one another.
After growing up in Brisbane, Australia, I moved to New York 9 years ago and haven't looked back. I live in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn with my husband, two children and many many books. I am honored to serve the women of New York.